Many of my fellow momtogs have lamented about the difficulties of being a nursing mom and trying to shoot an ALL day wedding. During an 8-10 hr wedding, there is limited time to eat, drink, let alone pump. It's stressful because this can cause a mommy to lose her milk.
So I want to share my experience and things I've learned that have helped maintain my milk supply.
1. Quick & Easy Snacks! I always carry tiny snacks in my camera bag & pump bag. I often scarf them down between locations while shooting or while the bride & groom are wrangling their people for family photos, I'll take a few steps away from the group, turn my back and stuff as much food in my mouth as I can manage.
Snack options that are easy and convenient:
- Individually packed nut butter
- Granola Bars
- Apple Slices
- Fruit Leather
- Trail Mix
- Baby food squeeze packs. (I'm obsessed)
2. Make sure you are drinking TONS of water. I always bring two full water bottles with me to a wedding. I drink half of one on my way there. I drink another full one when we are driving between locations and right before the ceremony. Then I drink another half on my way home. Another easy way to get water is to send your second photographer to fetch you some during family photos or when he/she is not busy. No need to feel like a diva, you're a nursing mom and need your fluids!
3. Find time to pump. I know, it's hard, it's inconvenient, and it's awkward doing it anywhere other than home. A few ways to over come this:
- Pump in your car while driving between locations
- Pump during your dinner break
- Pump on your way home at the end of the night.
Even if you're only at one location, that's still two pumping opportunities!
BONUS: Drink mommy's milk smoothies!
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1 lb of chia seeds
- 2 tbls Brewers Yeast
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 2 scoops of Barleans Chocolate Greens
Blend until smooth.